Sunday, February 27, 2011

What About This Old Video Really Speaks to Me?

I like a variety of music. I'm probably the only person I know who listens to both Rush and Rusted Root. I guess if I think it's good, I think it's good and I don't spend too much time worrying if I like music that fits or doesn't fit one genre. And yes, while I'm hardly a hippie, in college I loved Phish.

I hadn't listened to Phish in a while. Maybe I thought that music didn't fit who I had become. I'm not really sure. But lately I have rediscovered Phish.

The video is fascinating. For one thing, I had no idea Phish had been around that long. Back in 1990 I was a Freshman in high school and had no idea who Phish was. For another thing, the music seems so raw, and in a way this is the best performance of Bouncing Around the Room I have ever seen. This performance captures Phish for me, and what I like about their music. To Phish's music I can dance around like a white person and not care how I look. There are some audience members in the front who are really bouncing around the room! How funny. The late 80's early 90's cusp era fashions are amusing. I wish I could have been there. It must have been an amazing experience.

I have been playing this video a lot. Rob says, "Turn off that hippie music!"

No comments:

Post a Comment